Friday, November 13, 2009

Called a Faggot by 2 students



On Tuesday Parent Teacher conferencing day and night, 2 brothers from my school called me a Faggot.

As hurt as I was I went head on with the situation. It happened while I was getting my lunch on the way to a dinner. Right in front of an entire community they decided that it was OK to call me a faggot and to run to not be caught. I was enraged I wanted blood. But I knew that they were children, plus this is not the first time that I have dealt with this kind of harassment so I went head on with it.

I went to my Assistant Principal first and explained to her what took place and she recommended me to see the Principal. I went to my Principal and she was so freaking understanding, I am blessed. She told me that she was going to handle it. Plus I went public to all my co-workers. I told every one that this shit took place where they work. They all were enraged. One teacher told me this is disgraceful. We can’t tolerate this. Even one of the parents at my school called me aside and mentioned to me that she was disgusted by what happened to me. I am openly gay at school and everyone in my school had met Allan, but this was not even about that. It was not about their acceptance of my lifestyle. The educators that I work with have a deeper meaning of what it is to be fair and sympathetic. They are open, honest and have a true sense of commitment and fair practice. I love my school.

So Wednesday it was Veterans Day. Thursday, I was absent due to a doctor’s appointment. While a the doctors office I got a called from the school guidance counselor and she told me that she was fed up with those two boys but she wanted me to relate what took place to her. I told her my side of the story and she documented the case. She told me “we are calling the police. We are asking the parents to come in for a big Pow Wow.”

Friday I showed up and the Principal approached me she asked me if the reason why I was absent Thursday, was because I was still down for what had happen. I told her about my appointment and her respond was "We called the cops on them and they have an official suspension from the Department of Education. Plus the Mother is getting suited because on that day, they were on a rampage and were braking windows of some homes in the community". After feeling the pressure from the police the youngest brother told the principal “I only called him faggot once.” The Principal told him that is unacceptable in my school. Word has it, that the Principal wants to put pressure on the parents to have them transfer to another school.

I am so proud of myself for speaking up and going public on these two. I made sure that everyone knew that I know how to fight back. But Over all the best part of that Horrible Parent teacher day was that 60 parents visited me 51 signed in all of them super duper supportive. Woof I love that community I love my school.

12 comments:

  1. That is awesome that you have such support from the school and the parents. Good for you for standing up for yourself and what you believe in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you too! Those children should be disciplined! bad asses! I can not be a teacher. More power to you! your work is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for speaking up anf for the school for backing you up. If those kids were allowed to continue their rampage, who knows where they might've ended up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did good by speaking up and not letting it go. No one can take your power unless you give it to them. These kids are obviously just into harassing and need to see the reality of the situation and face the consequences. If they want to shoot off their mouths, fine, just so they understand that it is no OK and there will be consequences. I am thankful and a little surprised that your school was so supportive. While it should be obvious that support should be given, we often are faced with the "boys will be boys" scenario and expected to let it go by administrators that are just as bigoted, but are hiding it. That's a big part of why bullying is so prevalent in our schools. Thankfully, you have a good one with no tolerance for bullying. Nice job on everyone's part. I am only sorry that this stuff still and ever happens at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you spoke up, Marcos. This is how we will begin to change attitudes and make it clear that this is not acceptable behavior! So glad everyone was so supportive of you. That is exactly how it should be! Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't begin to tell you how much I admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey papito, we are reminded that many people are focused on making respect and hopefully love, are nurtured in is this world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marcos, I'm really happy(and proud of you) you could speak up and be heard. I'm also very happy that you have support there at the school and from you colleagues. Though they are kids, their behavior is completely unacceptable. You deserve respect and the rest of the kids and teachers deserve to work and learn in an environment where hate is not tolerated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry this happened, but I'm glad you have support.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! I thought I left a comment on this but must have made an attempt with my Blackberry which won't let me leave them sometimes.

    I'm so sorry this happened, but your reaction might just help others and let those guys learn a lesson. I hope so. I'm really proud of you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have not seen any sign of you, hoping things are okay.

    ReplyDelete