Friday, September 3, 2010

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” by Junot Diaz.


After much insistence from my Hubby I just finished reading “The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” by Junot Diaz.

And the novel turned me out. I know that the Caribbean is replete with political horrors, but never have I read a book that delineates how those horrors, surpass way past generations, even after their villain dictators are gone.

I new that Trujillo was a bastard, a demon or Fuku as Junot refers to. But Shit generations after his ruthless dictatorship, the dude left his damage on the lives of the Dominican Republic. A damage that even years after his death, people are still not convinced that they can’t stand up against injustice.

Junot tried to make it easy for you to understand the suffering of his people, but even when the novel is a love story, the final outcome spells out political evils and degradation.

2 comments:

  1. Your review makes me want to read this, and I will. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book, it is one of my all time favs.

    ReplyDelete