Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Is it really dehumanizing for them?


When I was in art school. I remember coming across a chair with a broken leg and immediately felt the need to create something with it. In the chair I painted a woman with a broken leg and on a canvas I painted a chair with a broken leg. When I exhibited the piece I got in so much trouble because, I was considered misogynistic by some of my fellow students. But of all the horrible comments that I received the worst was from the professor himself. When he saw the woman that I had painted, his remark was: “she is too fat to be considered an element of beauty.” I desisted from explaining myself because I really could not understand their lack of tolerance. Even though I still have the piece save some where, I have not thought about that experience until recently, when I came across Ms. Landmine Cambodia. Right away I felt in love with the concept, the project, and the artwork produced. However I became very disappointed to hear that the project was cancelled in Cambodia because according to the government, the event would damage "the dignity and honor of our disabled, especially women". The way the project works, is that contestants have a picture taken on a by a professional photographer, pretty much following the guidelines of fashion photography. The pictures then are presented on the Internet, and the viewers pick their favorite picture. The winning contestant then receives a prosthetic limb and some cash reward, but the significance and main objective of the project is to raise awareness on the devastating effects of landmines. The objection of a classmate of mine when I exhibited the work was that things like pageants are a dehumanizing experience for women. What do you think is Ms. Landmine a dehumanizing experience for women victims of landmine?

THE MISS LANDMINE MANIFESTO
(in no particular order)
Female pride and empowerment. Disabled pride and empowerment. Global and local landmine awareness and information. Challenge inferiority and/or guilt complexes that hinder creativity- historical, cultural, social, personal, African, European. Question established concepts of physical perfection. Challenge old and ingrown concepts of cultural cooperation. Celebrate true beauty. Replace the passive term 'Victim' with the active term 'Survivor'And have a good time for all involved while doing so!

12 comments:

  1. I've wrestled with the idea of pageants being dehumanizing and have not been able to reach a personal conclusion with it. The participants sure look happy to me, so any dehumanization they are suffering is tiny. However, in the aggregate, women as a whole may be suffer great dehumanization because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is also a part of me that thinks, that one of the problems with the project is that it confronts the normative culture to address issues of beauty perception, and cultural representation, in relation to the "perfect body." I wonder it the Cambodian government decision to cancel the project is their own fears of representing the body out side its normative perfect construct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the photograph and asked about it, I had all kinds of questions about her. Your explanation taught me so much about this project and reminded me of landmine survivors. That seems to be one effective way of making people aware of this.

    Do you think you will do something more with your broken chair artwork now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to think about this more, when I think I have an idea something changes

    ReplyDelete
  5. The concept is sound, send out a message about a tragic thing (landmines) and the winner gets something substantive. However, it does exploit in a way, so it is a tough balance.

    By the way, at the end, where you mention prize, it should be limb :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joy I do not think that I will like to consider the broken chair again, however I think that back when I was in art school many moons ago, I was on to something. I do not think that the product is what is important, to me what is important is how the product affects others.

    Bucko thank you I appreciate that. And I agree some what with you too. I just feel why women only? Why can the project also included Mr. Landmine, too. A big plus for the project is that it offers a small narrative of this women experiences and I believe a big percentage of them are without work, discarded somewhat by the same culture that claims is protecting them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if many of them aren't more concerned about putting food on the table than about feeling exploited? This IS a tough one, but it does seem like something that would draw attention to a tragic problem. I agree, though, that it would be more effective if there were also a Mr. Landmine. It's sad that it's even an issue, frankly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wrestling, wrestling, wrestling. Done! Got it! I think you have to look the tiger in the eye. Let's face it our images of beauty are greatly distorted. Pageants are dehumanizing, but if you can bend something bad to your own good will, I think that makes it worth it. The ladies aren't suffering anything more indignant than they already have and it does not seem that they are being exploited. Landmines are such a huge issue in the developing parts of Africa and Asia, bringing awareness forward can only lead to better things. I look at it this way, if it saves even one person from being dismembered, it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. About a year ago a photographer was doing a series on women who had suffered amputations (not in a fetish-y way) and folks lit up about exploitation. What they were really upset about is that their idea of beauty was challenged by women who dared to think they were beautiful despite their physical loss. People also got upset about a children's television host in the UK who has a birth defect that resulted in a deformed arm. Some parents wanted her off the TV because they felt their kids would be upset. BBC refused to remove her and pointed out that in all her interactions with kids the only thing that happened is kids ask her about her arm and then move on. Adults can learn a lot from kids when it comes to ignoring minor differences and embracing major similarities. On the other hand (no pun) you have people over here losing it because some magazine put a bunch of average sized women on the cover instead of teenagers at death's door because of eating disorders. I applaud anyone that challenges people to pay more than lip-service to the saying about beauty coming from the inside out and in all shapes and sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ms. Kitty I guess that is my concern. That there is more in here about fearing the not perfect body being projected, that it is about caring for the so called victims.

    ReplyDelete