Sunday, September 6, 2009

Madam Sata a Queer Classic of all times

Madam Sata is a movie that I cannot stop watching and I cannot get out of my mind. Just when you thought that being Queer is rough, think about, Joao Francisco do Santos an inspiring, reaffirming, and up lifting figure capable of surviving racial and class discrimination during the 1920’s in Brazil. He was admired and appreciated by his local community and a legendary carnival celebrity. A queer with no gender alliances, he was capable of switching from butch to femme at his own discretion. A nonconformist with a family life composed of two prostitutes and an adopted baby. He had little reverence for the authorities or establishment, to point of laughing at his abilities to penetrate policemen. Over all, the entire movie with its graphic love making scenes and the compelling landscape of the times, takes you into a world where you feel present, enraged, yet empowered to fight back.


3 comments:

  1. Ok, you hooked me. Between your description and the posted trailer, I want to see this movie. Something tells me that the crappy Blockbuster down the street does not carry it so I'll have to go to Plan B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so gave up Blockbuster long time ago for the same reasons. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This one looks awesome. Already added it to the Netflix queue. Thanks for posting this Marcos.

    ReplyDelete